Milky Way March: Banff Photography Workshop
March 20-22, 2020.
Tickets: $650 + GST/Fees.
Early Bird discount until Jan 31, 2020: $585 + GST/Fees.
Class size is limited.
Develop your astrophotography skills during this two night Banff photography workshop focused on teaching you all the techniques you need to photograph the world at night.
March is a unique time to photograph Banff National Park at night. The landscape still wears its winter coat and reflect starlight beautifully. March also a great time to start shooting the Milky Way in Banff. The compositions with the Milky Way arc rising above the peaks are fantastic at this time of year. The galactic core will be rising before dawn so the arc will be low to the horizon.
What is Covered:
Planning: Planning your night shoots is an important part of being able to create compelling and purposeful images. Since it will be a great time to shoot the Milky Way, a large component of the planning discussion will be about how to find the galaxy and when it is best to photograph it. Techniques for aurora borealis, star trails and light painting will also be covered.
Settings: Shooting at night requires you to use your camera in full manual mode. We will go over ISO, white balance, aperture choices, and shutter speeds.
Focusing: One of the most difficult parts of shooting at night is getting your focus correct. We will cover techniques for this and the situations where you would want to use certain techniques.
Included in the Workshop:
- In-the-field instruction
- Classroom sessions Mar 20 & 21
- 3 course group dinner Mar 20
- Coffee/Tea provided during Mar 21 classroom session
Not Included in the workshop:
- Transportation to and from Banff National Park
- Transportation during the workshop
- Travel insurance
- Most meals
What to Bring:
- DLSR or mirrorless camera
- Remote/Intervalometer/Shutter Release
- Extra batteries
- Extra memory cards
- Variety of lenses
- Wide angle, fast lenses are ideal for Milky Way.
- Hot drinks in a thermos, water
- Appropriate clothing and layers for the weather
- Hiking boots, pole, pack, etc.
- Hand/toe warmers
The workshop plan is tentative and will be adaptive to conditions and weather.
- 4pm Meet at Juniper Hotel Vermillion Room
- Classroom session + camera practice
- 6:30 pm Dinner
- Nap/sleep time
- Night shoot
- 1pm Meet at Juniper Hotel Vermillion Room
- Classroom session on processing and image review
- Group dinner for those interested
- Nap/sleep time
- Night Shoot
– Meet for breakfast and final Q&A
If you can’t make this workshop, check out my 2020 photography workshop list.